Poulet D.G is a cross between stir-fried chicken meal and Fricassee (classic French stew of chicken and vegetables, cooked in white wine and finished with a touch of cream.). There are different variations to this meal depending on the preparation.
Its name suggests that it is superior to other chicken meals and made for the boss (Directeur General). It has evolved from being served in fine restaurants to being included in special occasion meals at home, during festivities, and for honored guests.
1 whole chicken cut into small chunks
1 large onion
1 1/2 cup parsley
1 1/2 cup celery
3 cups Oil
500 g carrots cut into 1/2 inch slices , frozen preferable
500 g cut green beans
1 garlic bulb
2-3 green pepper
5-6 unripe – to medium -ripe plantains
2 large Maggie or 2 Tablespoon chicken bouillons
Oil for deep frying the plantains
Salt and pepper to taste
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
- Brown Chicken Season chicken on both sides with 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Preheat a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Add ½ cup oil to pot. Add half the chicken, Fry chicken, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total, and transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken or you can just place all the chicken tin the pot like I did and let it brown for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the onions, parsley, and celery, garlic in a food processor or blender into a fine paste. Pour all the mixture into the pot, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. add Maggie , stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes . Add about ½ a cup of water if need be.
- Mix the carrots and green beans into the pot of chicken; let it simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add the green peppers stir and let it blend, turn off the stove.
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain, peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling it back.
- Cut plantains into rounds about an inch thick.
- Heat up a large skillet or cast iron with oil up to ½ inch- medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Fry the plantains until golden brown , then toss plantains with medley of chicken and vegetables . Hold off ,on this part, until you are ready to serve the meal
- Serve immediately.