The Eru soup: A specialty that comes to us from the southwest of Cameroon, the Recipe de Eru is a dish that is more and more unanimous on all our tables. When we talk about Eru’s dish in Cameroonian cuisine, just know that it is a mixture of two vegetables: Eru (a kind of spinach known as Gnetum africanum) and Water Leaf (a kind of spinach with small leaves).
500 g Smoked fish
750 g Spinach
500 g Beef
500 g Beef skin in pieces
100 g Dried Okok or Eru leaves
500 ml Red palmoil
2 pinches Chili powder
Eru leaves are difficult to cook, they should be soaked for 3 to 6 hours beforehand. You can also soak the leaves (Eru) for 1 hour long and boil them with baking soda (Kanwan) for 30 minutes.
For one serving of Eru (or okok), use one serving of spinach or waterleaf.
Small clarification: Spinach is different from waterleaf and for those who cannot easily find waterleaf, spinach is a good substitute.
- Wash and cut up all your vegetables (Eru). If you are using dried Eru, start by soaking it in water.
- After having cut and washed the beef skin, boil it for 30 minutes then add the beef previously cleaned and cut. Remember to add salt to it.
- Let boil for 10 minutes until the gravy is obtained. You can add hot pepper to it. Add the soaked fish at the end of cooking. You have to keep the juice, it will be useful for the rest of the cooking.
- In a pot, stir in the spinach or waterleaf. After 10 minutes, add the Eru and let the mixture simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Add the meat and fish, stir the mixture and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add the pan juices and palm oil, stir and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Finally add your crayfish and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.