For the health conscious, okra is a rich source of dietary fiber, minerals, and vitamins and a low calorie vegetable. Known in most West African Countries as Okro, and the French speaking countries as gumbo. Okro Soup African-style loaded with shrimp , oxtails with or without Egusi.
500 g Okra fresh or frozen
250g Meat (beef)
30g ground Crayfish – small dried shrimp crayfish – Mandjanga (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Onions chopped
1 tbsp Beef or chicken bouillon
3 cups chopped Spinach
1 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp ground Egusi optional
Salt and pepper to taste
If you use dry gombo (okra), rinse it briefly with cold water and let it soak in cold water for about 2 hours.
- In medium –sized sauce pan boil oxtail seasoned with garlic salt, smoked paprika, pepper and onions until tender (approximately 30 -40 minutes). You can shorten this process in half by using a pressure cooker.
- If using fresh okra wash the okra, remove the tops and tails, and slice into rounds.
- Blend the okra to a coarse consistency in a food processor or you can finely chop the okra into coarse consistency using a sharp knife
- Add the ground crayfish, bouillon or Maggie and egusi into the pan of boiled meat , cook for 5 minutes.
- Then add shrimp, cook for another 5 minutes and finally add the spinach and stir for about a minute or 2.
- Serve warm with Fufu( any kind).